Friday, May 1, 2009

Mock Draft Results and more

So I reviewed the mock drafts that Lloyd and I did and applied the agreed upon scoring formula and found out that its true, I am much better than him at mock drafts. The system was simple, only scoring the first round, if you get a player correct to that slot, then you get 10 points. Every position you are off reduces that by 1 point, all the way into negative numbers if necessary (and it was). The final tally is Tim with 116 points, or an average of 3.62 per player, and Lloyd with 73, or an average of 2.28 per player.

With all that being said, this was by far the quirkiest draft I can ever remember seeing, and of course I had second row seats to it, literally. I understand everyone's big board is different, and that Mel Kiper and Scouts Inc. aren't the only authority on these players, but when a guy ranked in the top 100 for McShay doesn't get drafted, something is wrong. Everyone focused on the Raiders, who had an absolutely awful draft, and I don't care if some other team had Michael Mitchell as a 3rd rounder, taking him in the 2nd is just idiotic. He's tall and fast, but he didn't produce against lesser competition, and wasn't even a feature player at Ohio's pro day. All that aside, the underrated terrible draft goes to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Their first two picks are solid, but they passed up on Michael Crabtree, who I absolutely love, to take Eugene Monroe, and then took another OT in the 2nd round. This after going out in the offseason and bringing in Tra Thomas and paying him too much money. Then, they took two players back to back that left a lot of people at the draft going "huh?" Terrance Knighton. He's a DT out of Temple that I couldn't find listed too many places, and then immediately after they took Derek Cox, a CB out of William and Mary. The collective of guys sitting in our area just seemed confounded, as did the guys in the booth talking about it. As Mel Kiper stresses, the draft is about value, not who you pick. These guys were both at best 6th round picks who were taken in the 3rd when much better players were still available. Then with their next 5 picks they decided to take 3 WRs, 1 RB, and 1 TE. For a team with such a need they waited way too long to address it. They have the 2nd worst draft, yet they got a C+ grade. I just don't see it.

Speaking of going to the draft, that was quite an experience. The guy in front of Lloyd and I smelled like he hadn't showered in quite a while, and had back hair that you could braid. I got the signatures of many ESPN personalities, and found out that Herm Edwards is just about the nicest guy ever. Those guys put in a lot of time, and they still were cheerful enough afterwards to sign some autographs and talk breifly with everyone. I was really impressed with the whole setup. Plus I got a nice bag of gifts for free, which always helps smooth things over with me. The Radio City Music Hall is beautiful, and hopefully someday soon I'll be taking over for Mel and running the show there.

2 comments:

  1. First off, let me tell you how much I envy you for getting tickets to the draft. Not just tickets, but good tickets.

    Secondly, I think that the Jags had the best draft in the league. Of course I'm a Steelers fan, so any time the Jags or Browns or Ravens have a crappy day is a plus for me.

    Speaking of the Browns, what the hell? I didn't see the draft (we're 7 hours ahead over here) but I heard they traded three times in the first round. What the hell could they be trading down three times for? And seriously, what were they hoping to accomplish? For every late round gem like Tom Brady or James Harrison, you have a hundred busts that end up getting cut from the practice squad. Again, kudos to the Browns for helping Pittsburgh.

    Finally, it's a good thing Herm Edwards is a nice guy, because he was totally over his head as a head coach. Check out this at Youtube:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQtbzkT4iQE

    It pretty much describes itself. Great column.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well surprisingly tickets are free, and it's first come first serve seating. If you wanna be on TV you go to the mezzanine, but if you want to be a real fan who isn't a douche you go down and get as close as you can. I can't say that the Browns did a terrible job because this draft was so weak, and they didn't like anyone early. The surprising thing was that they took Alex Mack over a variety of players that could have helped them like Kenny Britt, Clay Matthews, Rey Maualuga, etc. The top 3 centers really weren't very different, and the dropoff from Mack, Unger, and Wood to a guy like A.Q. Shipley or Antoine Caldwell still wasn't significant. I thought the strategy was good, the pick just wasn't.

    I love the Flabbergasted Four, the entire idea was great, and if Andy Reid wasn't such a great talent evaluator his other problems would have had him coaching high school years ago.

    By the way, spread the column to anyone you think would enjoy it, even in your unit, and hell, if you guys are all from around here, I'll do my best to represent your views and give you a forum to discuss. Thanks for reading Beav, get home safe.

    ReplyDelete