Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Orioles, Playoffs, Scrubs, and Favre

I'm writing this in the top of the 3rd inning, and by the time I finish it may be later, but I just saw the stupidest base running decision I've seen in a while. It's the bottom of the 2nd with 2 outs, and Cesar Izturis on 2nd base. Adam Jones is at the plate, hitting .363 coming into the game, and already has a double. Keep in mind that Nick Markakis is hitting right behind him, and already has a HR in the game in the 1st inning. Jones hits a sharp line drive single to left field, where Denard Span is playing, with a relatively strong arm. So in this situation, you have the runner stay at 3rd on the hit, and take your chances on Nick Markakis as opposed to the likelihood of Izturis getting thrown out at home. But alas, I see Izturis turning for home and before the ball leaves Span's hand I know he's getting thrown out. The ball is 6 feet off the plate and the catcher still has enough time to get back and tag a sliding Izturis. The third base coach, Juan Samuel, can't let this happen, considering we're talking about team that isn't good enough to be giving back runs and getting thrown out on the basepaths. It's truly frustrating to watch a team that is the least talented team in its own division not at least play smart. I feel like if I coached the O's they would win 5 more games per season because I would just practice fundamentals all day with the fielders. But what the hell do I know.
**Update: The game has been delayed now for the 3rd time tonight, just end it and play the doubleheader tomorrow.

The NBA playoffs are starting to really piss me off. I don't watch them every night, but it seems like the nights I do watch, the games suck, or the Celtics win. I made sure I watched the Bulls-Celtics game 7 the other night, only to watch a game so horrific that I wanted to gauge my eyes out. It ws so bad I bought a basketball because I was convinced I could play in the NBA, because all I need to do is drive to the basket and I'll get fouled. I've been practicing free throws in the driveway in anticipation for declaring for the draft. I haven't hired an agent, so don't worry, I can still keep my options open. Anyway, it's annoying to watch a game in which there are more whistles than shots. There was no flow to the game, making it difficult to watch. The only thing I enjoyed was seeing Rajon Rondo get knocked on his ass twice in a row. I normally would feel bad for someone like that, but he had it coming after the cheap shots he doled out earlier in the series. Back to my initial point, I'm trying to watch the Magic-Celtics game tonight, but it's just been terrible. Why am I not around for the triple OT games, or the buzzer beaters. Just my luck.

Final thing, I know I don't want to do much talking about cultural things outside sports, but I feel the season 8 finale of Scrubs deserved some attention. It was a nice ending, and I really enjoyed the ending montage. However, I'm afraid that they are gonna try to keep the series going even though Judy Reyes (Carla) and Zach Braff (J.D.) won't be back for another season. It's time to let the series go. They tried the internet "Interns" series, and if they make that into the next season of Scrubs you can take me off the bandwagon. No thank you.

Finally, I'm going to murder Brett Favre, in the figurative sense of course. How many times does he need to retire before he stays that way. I get it, you still think you can play, and you want to win another Super Bowl ring, but the greats need to learn when it's time to hang it up. I really don't want my summer to be littered with Brett Favre speculation. I think the greatest thing that could happen would be for Roger Goodell to not reinstate him. It would be an unprecedented move, but it would send the message that you can't hold teams hostage like he did with Green Bay, and you better be sure that you're ready to retire before you file the paperwork. If only I were the NFL commisioner....

No comments:

Post a Comment