Saturday, February 20, 2010

Random Thoughts

First things first, I'll say something about Tiger Woods. He is in my life because he is the greatest golfer in the world, and I enjoy being a terrible golfer. His endorsement of certain products has no effect on my decision to buy them. I don't have Nike clubs or spikes. I drink Gatorade when it sounds good, and the Tiger version is awful. So if he cheats on his wife with 15 women, or whatever it is, it's none of my concern. Perhaps if I had impressionable kids I might worry, but really, all he is now is a cautionary tale. I didn't wake my tired ass up and watch the press conference. I got the ESPN News update on my phone, which was more than enough. Unless he is announcing that he'll be returning for the Master's, I don't care. It just seems silly to worry about something that doesn't impact anything I care about.

Onto the Olympics, where the USA just wrapped up a thrilling 5-3 win over Canada. Ryan Miller played his butt off in goal and had to be the first star of that game. Rafalski and Drury were absolutely integral to the success of the team, but without Miller saving 42 of 45 shots they would have been done for. If they USA hopes to advance to the gold medal game they are going to have to play better and keep the puck out of their own zone. They got lucky on a couple goals and were really outplayed for most of the game. Still, an exciting victory for the young team that should propel them onward. Aside from that, my prediction for the medal count isn't looking so hot. I really didn't expect the US team to be so good at this point. They have really stepped up to the challenge. It is now possible for the US to lead the total medal counts in both summer and winter games. Depressing for the rest of the world.

Pitchers and catchers have reported to spring training, and with that the speculation has begun on the next season. As an Orioles fan I have continued to look to next season, but this may finally be "next" season. If the young pitching on the roster can develop behind Milwood and Guthrie, it isn't beyond them to move into 3rd place in the AL East. Asking to win a World Series with this roster is a little much, but getting above or around .500 isn't. They have an extremely talented outfield with Markakis, Jones, and Reimold, a solid middle infield, and the best catching prospect in the majors. Their corner defense may be suspect, but if Garrett Atkins can't play well enough, Ty Wigginton has shown the ability to play well every day. I really think Andy McPhail has done an excellent job constructing a team, hopefully he isn't canned before being able to see it to fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment