Thursday, April 16, 2009

O's and some other stuff

19-6 was the final score of the Orioles game Wednesday, and it's the third straight series finale in which they've been blown out trying to sweep. Their last three attempts to sweep have ended 11-2 against the Yankees, 11-3 against the Rays, and now 19-6 against the Rangers. Those three games have led to a -13 run differential. The starting rotation is getting bailed out by an offense that has started incredibly hot, and if the Orioles believe they can contend this year there needs to be some recognition of this soon before they drop so far out of the race that it's not worth it. Personally, I'd love to see someone like Aubrey Huff or Luke Scott have a great start, and get traded at the deadline for a few prospects. Right now they have 5 OFs for 3 spots, and 2 are guaranteed to Adams Jones and Nick Markakis. Ryan Freel, Luke Scott, and Felix Pie are all fighting for LF, but the actual difference between them is negligible. Pie and Freel will likely stay since they were FA pickups, but Scott could have enough value for a prospect who could come up and pitch the 3 or 4 spot eventually. On the other side of the field Ian Kinsler hit for the cycle and went 6-6 overall on the game. However, his cycle got a lot less publicity than Orlando Hudson's this past week. Why you ask? Because Hudson plays in Los Angeles, and Kinsler plays in Arlington. Even though Kinsler's was also much more impressive (Hudson went 4-5 as opposed to Kinsler's 6-6) he won't get his due.

In other news, I finished my senior seminar paper for history. I did a mock museum display of John Adams' in Holland. Hopefully it doesn't suck and I get at least a B on it. That thing killed too many nights that I could have tried and failed to get to sleep during. Now all I have to do is present it today to the class and I'm finished with it. For now I guess that's all, but I'm sure I'll think of something tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about the O's being in the pennant race. Everyone knows what's going to happen: The Orioles will jump out to a huge lead in the AL East (like 11 or 12 games up) before the All-Star Break, then their pitching will fall apart, their offense will return to earth, and they will lose approximately 50 games in a row to finish 23 games out of first. (I've told this to everyone I know who is an O's fan over here in Iraq and they all agree.) Their only hope is, like you said, to trade some extra outfielders for a quality pitcher or two who can play immediately. Otherwise the 2009 season is just a warm-up for 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't decide if I want them to even attempt to start hot to create that dilemma. I think they need to be out of the race before the All-Star break to make them sellers. Otherwise we're going to do something stupid and give away Adam Jones for Chris Carpenter or something.

    ReplyDelete